Pages

Seminary 1977-78

I was called to teach Seminary and even though I was scared to death I accepted it.  It was very hard as I had to get to bed so early to get up at 4:30 AM and be ready to leave the house at 5:30 to pick up some students on the way and begin teaching at the Stake Center at 6 AM.  John and Linda were both in class with me and the subject was "Doctrine and Covenants" and "Church History".  The material was excellent with good movies and activities.  I had about 33 in class!

I remember plopping on the waterbed when I came back in the morning to get a short rest before getting up and getting on with chores and preparing a lesson for the next day.  I am either very inadequate or  I try too hard but I think I was a successful teacher but by the end of the year I was physically and mentally exhausted.  The children gave me a friendship book at the end of the year with very kind thoughts.

With the help of Michelle Hymas, a student, a Sacrament meeting was prepared by the youth in May and believe it or not, 31 participated.  Bishop Hunsaker, who was now Stake President, conducted all the beautiful music.  That Pioneer Book had such wonderful songs.  I think I lent it out and never got it back.  The talks some of the students gave were excellent.  It was very successful.

The appreciative notes I received from the students was amazing, here are a few comments:
"you are a real inspiration to my life, I hope you are my Seminary teacher next year"
"you are truly a fine teacher, hope to see you next year"

"the best Seminary teacher in the world, you really taught me a lot, hope you will be my teacher next year"

"thanks so much for the neat lessons and good example, the messages have helped me with a lot of decisions"

"thanks again for caring enough to make Seminary enjoyable.  I hope it was worth it, it was worth it for me"

"thank you for all that you taught me, I appreciate it very much, I hope you teach us next year"

"...I really enjoyed it.  I learned a lot and no matter what happens, I'm going to finish reading the scriptures, hope to see you next year"

"I'm so thankful I had you for a teacher this year, I enjoyed all of your lessons so much, thanks so much for everything and making this a year to remember"

"thanks for making my last year, my best year, I've learned so much from your lessons, I've never had a Seminary teacher so well-prepared, I wish I could stay next year but I must move on to Institute"

"I loved the lessons you gave and enjoyed coming every morning"

"I really enjoyed coming to Seminary this year, contrary to years before, every day was so well-planned, it is a shame to end it"

"best teacher any of us could ever have had, and I truly mean that, you made all of the lessons interesting and fun."

"Thanks for making it a year in Seminary that I won't forget."

"I always learned so much and really felt the Spirit."

 Donna F. sent me to her Dr at Scripps Clinic for help as I was so depleted in June.  He put me on exercise and Elavil for three months.  He said I was "chemically imbalanced" I got better, but I did not teach the next year.  Seems I am a good starter, but not a finisher???  Something to think about.