Pages

Another Son!


When our fourth was born, we would have four children John 5 3/4, Linda 4, Maria 2 1/2 and a newborn. Whew!

Our final blessing, James Scott,  was born on June 27, 1966.  It was a scheduled Cesarean and I had a blessing before we went to the hospital.  This always gave me so much peace.  In fact I needed to be there a few hours before the procedure and I think the admitting nurse thought it was not nice for Richard to drop me off and leave me there, but of course, he returned.  As was now familiar to Dr. Rust, there was always something unusual about my deliveries.

As had been decided, he would tie my tubes as he felt very strongly with the type of cut I had had on my first delivery I should only have three Cesareans.  Since Linda was delivered naturally we felt very blessed we were actually getting a bonus baby.  And it seemed very appropriate he would be born just one day before Linda's birthday.

I can still see it in my mind, they had just delivered just what we wanted, a boy, and were ready to tie my tubes and sew me up when the nurse appeared at the door and told Dr. Rust they did not have the kind of sutures he wanted.   He told her in no uncertain terms that she must get them and then he turned to the anesthesiologist and told him to put me out.

When I awoke Dr. Rust was there and told me I had received the 4 Star Special that day.  Since they had time while waiting for the sutures to be delivered from another hospital they not only tied my tubes as had been planned, they also took out my appendix so I would never have to have that scar on my body.

Susan Allen was staying with my children during the day at the house and Erin's mother was so kind as to have a birthday party for Linda the next day on the 28th.   I was always so appreciative of this kind of thoughtfulness.  Richard had also hired a lady from Tijuana to be with us when we arrived home.  This was because I was scheduled to have my legs stripped.  My varicose veins had been so bad during the pregnancy and since I was to have no more children, it was decided it really needed to be done.

Varicose Veins are a Painful Problem

Six weeks after Jimmy was born my legs were operated on and stripped and the pain was virtually gone.  However, I needed to stay down for awhile.  I do remember when I recovered I let our help go.  I did not like someone constantly in our home taking care of things, I can't imagine why not, but maybe it was her.  Also because I needed to be in the hospital during this time, I only nursed James for six weeks but he went readily to a bottle.  He was a very happy, fun baby from Day 1 and the children loved taking care of him.

We had this big carriage that was wonderful to wheel him around in downstairs and he was often in it sleeping in the dining room instead of in his crib upstairs.