Pages

A New Home Planned and Christmas 1960


From my Journal-"Almost a whole year has passed since I've taken time to write in my journal.  It's hard to believe time has gone so fast.  We had a lovely Christmas last year and I have already done a lot of shopping for this year.  I bought several things at the Christmas Bazaar--so many ward people don't buy there but we did well."  

Relief Society Bazaar-In the fall of 1961 we prepared for the annual Bazaar of the Relief Society. We really sell a lot to non-members and so prepared a fantastic amount of things to sell. I actually made 20 little dresses for toddlers and all sold well but I swore I would never do that again and so did Richard! The machine was always out.

Journal-"I love to sew though since I got my new Slantamatic.  I made a jacket and hat for John today. Tonight I should have gone with my Laurel class to the Stake Hall but I've such a cold and been so worn out I stayed home.  I believe I'm about a month and a half along on a new baby, too, surely hope so!"

A New Home-We made plans to buy a home in University City. We actually wanted to buy in Pacific Beach but just couldn't afford it. I really fell in love with a home down there. But we picked out a lovely three bedroom that was just being built and was on the edge of the canyon. My parents planned on spending the winter in San Diego so we were looking forward to that as well.

After I was finished teaching we sold my car so we only had one car! Richard's mother said she would give us her old car as she was buying a new one. Another car would be needed once we were living in University City. It would also mean we would be moving into 10th Ward and so would be getting new church jobs again. That kept life interesting.

My folks were actually in San Diego from December 1961 to March 1962 and lived in Loma Palisades.  It was wonderful having them here but they decided they do not want to live down here.  They are building a home in Idaho Falls.

Christmas in Pacific Beach





From my journal: "It was nice  having Mom and Dad here especially for Christmas. We had lots of good food and fun. Richard gave me a $100 bill besides a maternity outfit, perfume and things for our movie camera.

We gave Johnny a maple rocker but he wasn't interested in anything after he unwrapped a big dump truck. He would stand at the couch and run the truck back and forth, back and forth.







His love for cars and trucks has increased and he plays with them all day and carries one or two wherever he goes. He always offers them to adults but will never give them to another child. He does need more playmates, however.  

When he was three he was old enough to go into Jr. Sunday School.  He left after opening exercises!

I found some information about John's haircut.  I remember that it stuck up funny and I have written that I trimmed it at 6 1/2 months and it did not look much better..  Then my Dad trimmed it at 7 months and it looked pretty good.  At 8 months he had his first real hair cut by a barber on Garnet--the little crew cut.