Pages

Easter In Idaho and a New Calling






In 1969 we were able to spend Easter at my Mom's home in Idaho Falls.  My brother Dick brought his daughter Kathy to visit as well.  I am not sure who else was there.



I love these pictures of the children but where was John?

With my hairdo, I can understand why the children called me Mrs. Simpson later.


Mother looked very lovely with her grandchildren surrounding her.  She, of course, was a widow at this time.

Nursery Leader--

Soon after moving to our new home in La Jolla Heights I was called to be Nursery Leader in 7th Ward. The Church was starting a new program in which the children would have a Nursery School Experience during Relief Society and all of the women would take turns assisting  in the care.  At that time we had a 1 1/2 hr meeting most Wednesdays of the month with one long meeting once a month in which lunch was served and we worked on various projects or had demonstrations.  I loved this Work Day as it was where I learned so much about cooking, hand sewing, quilting, crafts, all kinds of things. I think we all loved it and now it would be a better experience for the preschool children as well.  We had a lot of those in 7th Ward in Pacific Beach.

I had a feeling I would get this call and was prepared with all kinds of reasons why I could not accept it, but of course, I did say yes, and felt good about it.

Bishop Beeler had built cribs in one room and the RS had money with which to buy some good outdoor and indoor play equipment.  I think because of my Kindergarten Teacher experience I was chosen.  It actually was quite successful in our ward and at the end of the year I was given a special award with this poem that Louise Bowen had written:

This is a new kind of nursery story 
That tells a tale in all its glory--
To help the mothers and their children
 Become more alert on their way to Heaven.

Relief Society was anxious to start  
This wonderful program inspired from the heart
Of Him who directs, with His love and mind,  
Those who are worthy to be called mankind.

San Diego Seventh Ward was in a rush 
To begin this procedure with a gush,
But, the right person must be chosen  
To teach all these children--by the dozen.

What qualities must this person have? 
Intelligence, trustworthiness, able to laugh,
The patience of Job, loving and kind, 
Organizational skill for each bright little mind.

One name towered above the rest--
Her example and life had passed the test
Of relating to children, her willingness to share 
Her time, her energy, and talents rare.

She accepted this call and served as an angel, 
Each week was deserved a glorious medal,
She was always so pleasant, never was tardy; 
Seventh Ward loves their own Janet Hardy.

                                                                                         Poem by Louise Bowen