Pages

New Church Callings and Various Challenges

In March of 1971 the Nursery Leaders from the different wards in the Stake met at my house with the Stake Nursery Leader.  I remember it was a Saturday morning and she was very impressed that my children (as young as they were) were all busy doing their Saturday chores and there was no fighting or contention.  Of course, the arrangement was that they couldn't play on Saturday until their work was done so it was usually not a problem.

Each of them had an assignment.  I remember John's was vacuuming the living room and dining room and she would have heard that going on.  Linda, Maria and Jimmy were probably doing something in the kitchen and family room downstairs and that would have also been obvious as we had our meeting in the play room upstairs and had to pass those rooms.


New Primary Stake Board Calling for Me and Executive Secretary to the Stake President for Richard--




Soon after that I received a call to meet with the Stake 1st Counselor and he called me to the Stake Primary Board.  I really enjoyed that call and working with those ladies.  We had a monthly meeting in which we had to prepare materials to present to the Ward leaders and then we would visit a different Ward Primary each week.  At that time we also traveled to General Conference a few days early and had special Primary Meetings.  Sister Parmley of the General Board made a great impression on me with her talk based on D and C: 122 and that became my favorite scripture.  I also especially remember a talk given by Elder Ashton in which he felt the children we were teaching to at that time would be the leaders in the Church when the Savior came.  At least it always stuck in my mind that way.  It was as if he had not preplanned to say it but that was what he said, through inspiration.

Richard had been a 1st Counselor to Bishop Bowen in 7th Ward but soon after we moved to La Jolla our area was put into 13th Ward.  I think it was at this time Richard became the Executive Secretary for the Stake President.  Richard was so good at getting mailings out and organizing events as he could use his secretary and office equipment to help.

We had several health problems after Richard had his heart attack.  John was wrestling with John Douglas and discovered a severe pain in his leg.  In May of 1970 he had a benign bone tumor removed.  Miriam, Richard's sister in law in Las Vegas,  was in a car accident and severely injured.  For the whole summer we had her six children at our house.  In October of 1971 I had to have a hysterectomy because my uterous was pushing my bladder down all the time--the bladder was reattached and I stopped having frequent infections. 

It just seemed there were a lot of challenges in a short period of time and then December of 1972 came and we really had some major changes in our life.