Pages

Another Beautiful Girl and Christmas 1963!



From my journal--"Maria followed Linda just 17 months later (what happened to that two year advice the Dr. gave us?) on November 15, 1963.  She was due on December 2nd but when I went in for a check-up the Doctor said she had turned breech and labor was in process.  Labor--I couldn't tell, possibly the cutting of the muscles in my stomach during the first Cesarean made a difference but I could hardly feel either Linda's or Maria's labor.



Dr. Rust had hoped since Linda came so easily they would let this baby come naturally also but the breech position presented a problem.  They would possibly have to use instruments which might tear the inner sutures.  So after a conference with another obstetrician they decided to do a Cesarean that
night.  Dr. Rust said he never knew what I was going to come up with, each pregnancy was so different!"

I remember insisting that we get a blessing before we went back to the hospital this time.  We drove to our home teacher's on the way and it gave me a lot of peace.

While in the hospital Richard and I had to come up with a new name for the baby.  We had planned on Lisa Ann I think,  but one of our friends had just had a baby and named her that.   We had loved the movie "West Side Story" which had the beautiful Maria song in it and so we chose Maria Lynn.  It was later that I found Maria was not just a Spanish name but there were many Maria's in my Swedish ancestry as well.  It did seem to suit her.


Tragedy in the Nation-My parents came down for Thanksgiving and to help with the baby and while they were there President John Kennedy was shot on November 22. 

From then on all the attention was off Maria and the children and on to the television set.  We were watching all the time and so saw his assassin Oswald get shot also.  It was all so shocking, we were mesmerized.  It was a sad time for the whole nation.

Both Johnny and Linda were intrigued by the baby and fussed over her but I found supper time a very complex time for me.  The children wanted attention and Maria wanted to be fed at the same time.  We kept a bed (the car bed) for her in the kitchen and I must admit she often had a propped bottle instead of a leisurely nursing.





Christmas 1963-Christmas 1963 was spent in our University City  home and my parents were there.  We had the red Ranch Wagon for Johnny (something Richard had wanted as a child) and a doll and cradle plus a tricycle for Linda.  We have cute movies of them as they came out to find their presents.  Linda was incredulous that the tricycle was for her.  I wish we had taken more photographs but  the movies were wonderful.









Johnny was never afraid of Santa Claus but Santa surely upset Linda.  Baby Maria was blissfully unaware of Christmas that year.


A Plan to Move Again-We only lived in our University City home until Maria was eight months 


old.   The biggest problem with the house is that Highway 52 had not gone in yet and it was a very long drive for Richard to go to and from La Jolla each day.  The other problem with the house was it was not well insulated and we really felt that cold from the canyon. 


One thing that happened while we were in University City is the father on the corner taking an interest in Johnny being more assertive with his son.  Johnny would let this man's son take advantage of him and so the father put boxing gloves on both of them and was teaching them to defend themselves. 

Marion Naylor and her raising of her big family was a big influence on my life while living in UC.  She was able to handle babies, housework, and family so easily.  I could see that family always came first in her life.  She was a good example to me.





Never Too Busy for Babies-As I read the notes and letters I wrote about our children coming into our life I hope I truly appreciated the great blessing they were to us and I showed how I felt to them.  As parents we are so busy, busy, busy. 

I remember when I first had the Nursery in Sunday School in 4th Ward.  There was a family who had the most beautiful children and it almost seemed as if they did not recognize that.  I remember vowing that I would never take my children for granted but always show them how much they were adored.

And then we get into this busy routine and I am afraid we don't take as many opportunities as we should to just hug and laugh and enjoy the wonder of children in our life.  I hope we did, I hope we didn't miss too many moments.

I remember when I was at the bay with just the three and trying to introduce them to the water in a calm way.  Someone watching me from the cliff actually took the time to compliment me on how I handled them.  He said my children were very fortunate, but I don't know...I am sure too often I rushed them through life just to get things done...Heavenly Father places a lot of faith in us to give us his children to love and raise.   Richard and I were very blessed.