Pages

Richard is President!


Richard was made President at Mansfield Mills, Inc. and I wrote this poem about him.




To My Husband "The President"

I never dreamed when I met you, You'd ever be a President;

Many other virtues I saw at once, But this just wasn't evident.

You've worked so hard to get where you are, And often it made me so blue,

But I'm proud of the man you have become, So masterful, wise, and true.

Mushy poetry you never wrote me, Flowers have been few and far between,

But the love you have given in the life you've led, Is a love of a higher plane.

At home, it's "Daddy do this" and "I need some money!" or "Honey, please come help me."

No secretarys or junior execs, Only a wife and kids with a plea.

It isn't that we don't appreciate you, or love you any the less.

But only that we know you love us, And take advantage of that , we confess!

Honey, I think your promotion is great, I'll try to be the support I must be.

Happier yet am I to know, You are mine for eternity.

From a happy wife, Janet.


Busy, Busy Years

The next few years must have been very hectic as I have very few notes about them. I do know we completed a lovely back yard with the large brick patio and had a climbing fort for the children as well as a big blue boat filled with sand.

 After the children lost my sewing room as their playhouse Richard had the carpenter who did the office build a 7 by 10 playhouse which we had to the side of the house.

The carpenter made it so it could be taken apart and moved if necessary. Eventually the children would have the best play area on the block.  Richard bought this old blue boat and filled it with sand.

 We had a wooden fort to climb and a swing set and then this playhouse filled with table, chairs, dress up clothes doll beds, etc.  Then there was the trail on the back slope leading to another little  fort.  Needless to say we had lots of children play at our house and that is the way I liked it.  Oh, and at one time Richard had a line from the top of the hill down to the house with handles that you could ride the line down to the house.  Of course, there was a tricycle and a red wagon and always a dog.

Baby Jimmy did not walk until he was almost a year old as the children were continually carrying him around. In fact, later, this lack of sufficient crawling would possibly be the cause for his reading difficulties. He did not get enough of the eye, hand, coordination--at least it was a theory.

Jimmy's Birthday Party Caught on Camera


In June of 1967 we had a birthday party for Jimmy with all the children from the Yost Circle area plus the Moncriefs.  Jimmy was hardly able to open a present they were all so anxious to be of help.

Although there were none as young as Jimmy, there was a really nice group of children on the Cul De Sac and we were almost inseparable with the Moncrief children so living in Pacific Beach was very good.

The church and the school were just down the hill and the beach and bay were nearby plus a lovely park on the other side of us.  We liked Pacific Beach.






You can see part of the large brick patio and the fort.  Another birthday, this one for John in the backyard.

Unfortunately some older boys in the neighborhood brought some Playboy magazines that John was sharing with them in the fort at the top of the hill  and I had to be more restrictive of who was allowed to play in the backyard.  Funny thing is that family moved to Utah because they thought the influence would be good for their family.  They were not Mormon.  But they must have liked what they saw with our family.