Pages

Richard Has a Heart Attack, Renewed Teaching Credential and Christmas 1970

From my journal:  "Richard had a dream of putting in a brick patio like he did in the Pacific Beach home but then a shock, Richard also had a heart attack--April 1, 1970! Luckily we lived near the hospital and got him there quickly!

On the weekend he had driven to Las Vegas and then to Idaho to pick me up at my folks and so his niece Becky  could see Ricks College--(they wanted her to go there in the fall  instead of getting married right away.

Anyway the Monday after we arrived home Richard felt pain in his arms--but went to work.  Not feeling well there he came back home and could not sit or lie still because of the heaviness in his chest--I called the Doctor and he said to meet him at the hospital immediately.  

The Doctor verified a coronary infarction while we were in the emergency room and he ordered him upstairs. All the while Richard was telling me all the papers and etc. he needed to work on while there. Doctor Fitch told me to "forget it" he would not be up to any work for weeks."
































"I called around our ward to find some priesthood for a blessing, which isn't very easy at 8 am, but finally I found two Navy men home. After they came and gave him a blessing and Richard was sedated I went home to call his brother Martin, who was living in San Carlos at the time. 

Soon after I arrived home the doctor called to say Richard's heart had stopped but they had been able to "shock" him back to life--so thankful I had him blessed. The elders went to Relief Society and told the sisters about Richard and Susan Degn, and Sharon Moncrief came up to be with me. They were there when the doctor called.

Martin came to the hospital and I went back there after calling a few people. Donna Fosbinder brought me up a book to read while I sat. Strange how all the "important things" suddenly aren't important anymore when tragedy strikes. I had been starting breakfast for the children and had all my things ready to take to Relief Society to conduct the Nursery Class. I called Roberta Seegmiller and she came over and helped the children.  She told me later they had managed well by themselves though.  She took all the Nursery things and Jimmy with her to Relief Society."  Roberta was such an example of someone you could count on in an emergency or any other time as well.  What a wonderful friend!

"My  sister Marilyn came down to see Richard and I (she had been living in Costa Mesa with her family). It is surely wonderful to have family and friends at a time like this. Mom came down to stay with us and take care of things so I could see Richard more. He was in the hospital for over three weeks. "


"Richard's mother was also here but then went to stay with Kathy and Martin which made it easier for all of us here. She kept telling Richard he "couldn't die before she did." She was still bitter over Scott's passing.   I had pleaded with the Lord in the hospital that I was not ready to be alone.  I promised I would get ready but I could not handle it at this time.  I think I promised to be a better Mom, wife, and become more capable,  if he would just spare Richard's life as I could not do it alone just yet.  The children were 9, 7 ,6, and 3."







"We were more appreciative of life and each other and Richard was on Valium and so did not even think about his work.  It was like the honeymoon we never had.  We also had a lot of visitors--surely appreciated all our friends and family."

Since Richard was not working we planned a very special thing--a month long trip from home.  The first week was spent at the BYU Alumnus camp near Sundance.  This was just wonderful.


They gave us a large cabin near everything because of Richard's heart condition.  There were activities planned for every age group during the day and group activities at night.  All the food was served Family Style and no cooking for us.  Will I ever forget those large homebaked rolls---no, no, they were so fabulous.  This was actually the best part of the trip.  However, we had all our camping gear and the plan was to camp out along the way as we traveled through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado and back home.

We actually only camped out four days!!!  Everywhere else we had relatives to stay with.  Memorable moments were the mass mosquitoes along Salmon River Idaho, the beauty of Glacier Park and the fine hotel we stayed in, horse back riding in Canada, playing with the Fuquas in Glendive, and finally the beauty of Colorado as we visited Marilyn and her family and then headed back to Utah through Aspen and other beautiful places.  It was a memorable trip.  Richard is pictured packing at Carole's house in Glendive.  Most of it was carried on top!  He would always have Jimmy get up there and do the finishing touches.

Reminds me of the pictures I have of my Dad packing all of Marilyn's college luggage plus our vacation luggage on top of his Cadillac--this would be in my Montana book.

One other thing that happened in l970 is I renewed my teaching credential for another five years but I did not use it.



Christmas 1970 I did not write a letter but I did send a card of the children's picture.